If you have Type 1 diabetes, you already know just how difficult it can be to plan a healthy menu and eat properly. There are many diet plans online that are designed specifically for those with Type 1 diabetes, but they typically include bland, tasteless meals with hard to find ingredients. Even though this is commonplace, it doesn’t have to be. In fact, there is a diet plan that offers healthy, delicious meal options that are perfect for those with Type 1 diabetes.
What is it? Keto, of course. The ketogenic diet plan is one of the best ways for anyone to get in shape, stay in shape, and live a healthy lifestyle, even if they have Type 1 diabetes.
Here are some of the common foods in a keto diet plan:
- Poultry And Meat
- Nuts And Seeds
- Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Non-Starchy Veggies
- Olive Oil
Here are some foods to limit or avoid in a keto diet plan:
- Sugar In All Forms
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Processed Food
Now that you understand the foods that you can and can’t have on the keto diet, we are going to take a look at some delicious keto recipes for those with Type 1 diabetes:
Keto Cobb Salad
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- ½ avocado
- 1 hardboiled egg
- 2 cups mixed green salad
- 2 oz. chicken, shredded
- 1 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup bacon, crumbled
- Dice the tomatoes and avocado and slice the hardboiled egg.
- Place 2 cups of mixed green salad into a large salad bowl or plate.
- Measure out chicken, feta cheese, and bacon.
- Place tomatoes, avocado, egg, chicken, feta, and bacon in horizontal rows on top of the mixed greens.
- Enjoy the whole serving.
Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- 6 Slices (34 g), sandwich sliced pepperoni
- 2 tbsp. pizza sauce
- 3 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Using kitchen scissors, snip three ½-inch cuts around the edges of each pepperoni slice, leaving the centre uncut (like a 3-leaf clover).
- Press each pepperoni slice down into a regular sized muffin pan.
- Bake slices for 5 minutes, until edges are slightly crispy, but still bright red. Remove from oven, and let the slices cool in pans to harden.
- As pepperoni cups are cooking, finely dice fresh oregano.
- To remove excess oil, after the bites have cooked, place them on a paper towel for about 10 seconds.
- Return the cups to the pan. Place ½ tsp. of pizza sauce then ½ of an oz. of mozzarella in each cup. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
- Place bites back in the oven for 3 minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
- Allow pepperoni bites to cool for about 3-5 minutes.
Contact Type1 Keto
To learn more about the benefits of a keto diet for those with Type-1 diabetes, contact Type1 Keto today and speak with a Keto diet expert who can answer any questions you might have.
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.